Promote your Docuseek streaming collection
Here is a list of tips for promoting your streaming media collections from the "You've Licensed It. Now What?" panel at the 2014 Charleston Conference.
From Sarah McCleskey, Hofstra University:
- Understand the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats (SWOT) of streaming. This can help guide your promotional strategies.
From Christine Fischer, University of North Carolina at Greensboro:
- Gather all the info on streaming media in a Libguide. Include lists of resources, help for faculty on embedding links in the learning management system, acquisition policies, and notes on public performance rights.
- Take advantage of vendor webinars for library liaisons and subject librarians to bring them up to speed on vendor collections.
- The library liaisons can work with faculty representatives from departments to acquaint them with the content, and to encourage use of the streaming media.
- Take advantage of the library's website to periodically promote streaming resources.
- Take advantage of any open house or information fairs or similar venues to demonstrate and promote the streaming collections.
From Steven Milewski, The University of Tennessee - Knoxville:
- Users will only use a resource if there is a need, it is accessible, and if they are aware that the library has it.
- Make sure the resources are discoverable! In the catalog, in the list of databases.
- Consider a brown-bag session for librarians to introduce collections and platforms.
- Take advantage of orientation programs and "teaching institutes" for new faculty and graduate teaching assistants. Have a canned presentation to demonstrate ways to incorporated streaming media in teaching.
- Promote streaming resources to students via their orientation programs and in the dorms.
- Promote the streaming resources in the library as well.
- Ask vendors what resources they have and take advantage of them. These might include flyers, posters, even website widgets that can help with discoverability.
From Jim Davis, Docuseek2
- Take advantage of platform tools and social media to "micro-market" specific titles to departments, individual faculty and even student organizations.
For a Powerpoint that accompanied the "You've Licensed It. Now What?" panel, click here.
For a formal write-up of the content of the "You've Licensed It. Now What?" panel, click here.